Saturday, March 24, 2007

UCSC Sunrise


UCSC Sunrise
Originally uploaded by mightysinetheta.
Sunrises rarely photograph well. They are often much more washed out than what we perceive. Thankfully, with the modern miracle of computer based editing, even a washed out sunrise can be returned to it full glory. I took this picture on the tail end of an all nighter, right at the start of Winter Quarter. Being able to see great sunrises without all the pain of waking up early is one of the many reasons behind my love of the night. The night tends to be much quieter and fewer people are around to distract me. Since my sleep schedule is so out of whack I can sleep during the day or the night with equal ease. I will certainly miss my all nighter sunrises when the summer comes and I have to conform to the 8-4:30 work day. Of course, then I operate at a net financial gain, rather than at a significant loss as I do during the school year. I suppose in both cases the end goal is to result in a non-zero trade off, coming out better than than what I had to put in to get there. The idea that human functionality is reducible to simple notions like non-zero equations is nice. I'm currently reading "Nonzero" by Robert Wright, on "the logic of human destiny". Thus far it is quite a pleasing read, and I look forward to completing it.

No comments: