Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Orson Scot Card

I first read "Ender's Game" when I was in high school. It was well written, the characters were excellent and the story was intense. I knew the Card had continued Ender's story across a trilogy after "Ender's Game", but to be honest I really had no desire to read the books. I rather liked where the story had ended, and was content to leave it there. So, I let that stand for about five years, until in a fit of boredom I decided to read "Speaker for the Dead". It was an excellent book, taking place roughly three thousand years after "Ender's Game". Another alien species is introduced, a porcine species, and again conflict arises. The story spans the next two books as well, the time frame accelerating across all thee books. This makes it fairly important to read the books in fairly quick succession, or to remember the key parts of the previous books by the time you get to the last book. Of the three books, "Speaker for the Dead", "Xenocide" and "Children of the Mind", I was the least pleased with "Xenocide". I feel that the writing took a somewhat disappointing turn as a portion of the book addresses the essence of souls within the Ender universe. His conclusion fits in with the science behind the rest of the books, but I found it somewhat excessive. That aside, the books are an excellent read, covering topics from artificial intelligence, family relations and of course alien-human interactions.

No comments: