Friday, November 30, 2007

Awesome, or not Awesome: That is the Question.

I noticed that it was one in the morning with the slow astonishment of a drunk spilling his drink. A puzzled look, a double take at the clock on the microwave, and the bewildering thought of "What have I been doing for the past two hours?" I'd reckon most of it was spent in the astoundingly interesting, but as of yet not-directly-profitable contemplation of the craft phenomenon. That, and making food. But this of course begs the question of what have I been doing since one in the morning. Sadly, I spent it engaged in that most fruitless of exercises, trying to fall asleep. Keep in mind the amount of caffeine it takes to get me going is in the range of 300 mg, roughly 3 coups of coffee. I have had zero caffeine today. Thus, I am led to one of two conclusions: either one of the symptoms of caffeine withdrawal is insomnia, or I'm still going slowly out of my mind.

I'm now drinking some sort of energy drink, but the reasoning behind that is two-fold. First, if I'm going to be awake, might as well make it productive, and second, its the only thing I have to drink up here. On the upside, I tend to write good papers while sleep deprived. Even better, the hallucinations from not sleeping for over 72 hours can help me do my finals! Some days, I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll just go mad some finals week; finally disposing of sleep altogether I'll wander the campus, chanting mnemonics of dates and people in a confused litany chronicling my education. Or perhaps it will just be madcap papers, dictated to the sky and any passer-by who strays too near. "...and as we can clearly see in the works of Kafka and Beckett, particularly in the latter's play "Waiting for Godot", the theme of waiting began to play a major role in cultural discourse after the first World War*..."

In this regard blogging has similar characteristics to the rantings of a madman: if they are not a particularly well-known madman people pay him no heed. On the other hand, if they are a well-known public figure then you have the start of a new social, political or religious movement. The trick, clearly, is to be eccentric rather than crazy. I tire of this line of thought however, and will now turn my mind to European Intellectual History; I should be able to get some reading done and pound out a page or two before the sun rises.

*Actual sentence from the paper that I'm about to write.
--
Robert Alverson

m*lambda=d*sine(theta)

No comments: