Sunday, May 18, 2008

Early Adopters

Tonight, I'm glad I'm behind the tech curve, at least far enough for it not to suck.  I'm a hardcore Google Calendar guy.  The interface is good, it does what I need it to, and it's web-based.  I found out recently that work needs me to use the Oracle Calender system.  It's web-based, has a crap-tastic user interface and too many options. I was  handed 141 pages of documentation on this program.  That's not even how to use it in the context of the job, just how to have a working knowledge of it, which is intimidating to say the least.  I'd much rather use Google Calendar, and just have Oracle Calendar import all my tasks.  Sadly, that just isn't possible without some major code-fu, which I don't have.  Knowing that it should be possible, I decided to find a workaround.

It turns out that Google wrote a little app that will sync between MS Outlook and Google Apps.  Oracle wrote an app that will sync between MS Outlook and Oracle Calendar.  Long story short, I set up Outlook for the first time in 4 years on my lappy.  In theory this should work like a charm, however, that is never the case, and the Oracle server at work is down, so I can't test it regardless.  They say I can bill them for the time spent learning Oracle: I don't know if they want me to bill them for 5 hours of trying various ways to get a calendar from Google to Oracle.

I'm glad I'm behind the curve on this one: Google made Sync earlier this year, prior to that I'd have had to pay a third-party vendor for the same functionality.  Also, this is the one time I'm glad that MS has market dominance.  (Don't tell anyone I said that.)  The argument of course being if everyone used FOSS standards...

--
Robert Alverson

m*lambda=d*sine(theta)

No comments: