Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Old Bike

As some of you will recall, I picked up a free bike to fix up a few weeks ago. Since then, I've realized that this bike is incredibly French. It is so incredibly French that parts aren't commonly available, and haven't been since the late 70's. This means availability will only get worse as the bike ages, and since I want this to be a pretty straightforward ride, that's an issue. I'm not willing to pay for an expensive wheelset, given the rate of wheel thefts around here. More importantly, new parts machined for old bikes are pretty expensive. So, I'm looking at selling the vintage bike, and buying a new bike, hopefully for less than ~$400. (broke college student, etc.) I figure if i could keep a ~$100 bike (+$100 in components over the years, not including tubes.) running for some 10 years or so, I'll be able to get quite a bit of use out of something w/o plastic components.

***Update***

The old bike is now on CL. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/739994390.html

No comments: