Sunday, November 2, 2008

Voting Makes Me Feel Dirty

I voted today, for the first time in my life. I'm 21.  Prior to this, I deliberately did not vote.  I'm nominally an American history major, and practically the first thing I learned was just how terrible our voting system is, particularly on a national level.  The electoral college is a political hack that was slapped into place to get the constitution signed and we should really remove it.  For those who haven't been paying attention in the past two elections, this is how a candidate can lose the popular vote and still get elected.  Clearly, that is not how this should work.

I'll grant it to those who have beleaguered me about voting, that it is more pure on a local level.  It's still flawed though, and so I felt (and still feel) that voting is largely buying into a rigged game.  As a result, when I voted today, I felt dirty: I had sold out. I'm now a registered, voting chump.

I'd argue for more direct action, but I think the time for that has passed.  It may be time to start a new government on an island somewhere, pending the results of this election, and the next 4 years.  One where voting either matters or is outlawed, none of this wishy-washy middle of the road stuff.

No comments: