Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Bike, Interupted

I now have a new left crank to replace the one I messed up.  After pulling the BB, it was pretty apparent why it failed: rather than having a continuous body, it had a separate bearing on the non-drive side.  If the left cup wasn't a perfect fit this would allow the bearing to move under load, causing the balls and races to wear faster.

Thanks to the coop, I have a new BB now, and it hasn't given me any problems yet.

I rode up to work through the center of campus, which is the first time I've done that.  I'm not sure if its a shorter ride, or if the topography works better for me (relatively short steep hills rather than a constant gradient), but it's a more pleasant ride than Hagar.  I also had an interesting encounter with a van this morning.  I don't think it was particularly life-threatening, just weird.  A van tried half-heartedly to cut me off and make a right, despite the fact that I was moving faster than them.  Normally I'd hit the brakes and let them take it, but they were moving at less than 10 mph, and looked more like they were moving up in the lane rather than making the right.  The net result was them awkwardly turning slowly into me, and me accelerating around and past them.  I'm not sure what the deal was with that.

In other news, you should pour one out tonight in the honor of Sheldon Brown.  He created a great, and highly accessible biking resource, http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ and generally did neat things with bikes.  A year ago today he ceased to be, a loss greatly lamented by the cycling community.

No comments: