Monday, August 31, 2009

New Life Type Stuff!

So, I have a job, and a place to live. I got both within a week of getting back to Davis, and I'm super stoked on both of them. I'm living in a house with professionals and grad students, which is cool. I have my own room, and a garage that I can store stuff in and make projects.  I got a job with B&L Bikes, as a mechanic.  It's a pretty big change to be working in a really professional shop, but it has certainly been making me a much better wrench.  Having to check other mechanics work, and have them check yours really highlights what you do and don't know.  At this point I'd say I need to work the most on speed across the board, as well as consistency. I have yet to be hit with anything where I was totally lost, but my number of jobs per day is really low. It's also a change to be in a situation where you really only want to do what is on the tag, as you are not getting paid and don't have the time to fix everything on the bike.  At the Bike Coop it was generally OK to futz around on one bike for awhile, fixing most everything, and then negotiating payment afterward. But that's not something you can get away with in a shop, particularly a busy one.

On the super upside, I have my own stand, bench and tools.  Including a truing stand.  Which is about the most awesome thing ever.  It's also really cool to have fat stacks of parts, sales people to deal with customers, and to get paid to do something that I think is pretty enjoyable.  Overall, no real complaints.

It does highlight how much more bank I could make if I had my own shop, which I sort knew with the Coop; but damn, full on shops pull down some bank.  Seriously.

Davis is also flat.  Davis is so flat that I inadvertently took Kristina on a 32 mile bike ride today, and she didn't die.  Overpasses are the largest hills for 20 miles in any direction.  This is bad, because people actually ride bikes here, which means the cops actually ticket bikers. (Of course, it supports an insane amount of bike shops, which provides me with a job.)  There has been a steady increase in traffic (bikes, peds, and cars) as we approach the start of the school year. I can only imagine how nuts the end of September is going to be.

So, I've got a job, and a place, and some free time, kinda. Perhaps there will be real blog posts again soon, and perhaps I'll get the bike trip stuff up soonish.

Robert

No comments: